A garbage disposal is a convenience that many homeowners take for granted until it no longer works. In this post we will go through the process of fixing a garbage disposal.
- If you turn on the switch to your disposal and the disposal does not operate and there is no humming sound the steps below will help you troubleshoot the problem.
- First thing to check is to make sure the power cord for the garbage disposal is plugged in. If that is not the problem proceed to step 2.
- Find the reset button for your disposal. It is usually located on the bottom or the side of the unit. Press the reset button and try the switch again. If this does not solve the problem proceed to step 3.
- The next step is to check your electrical service panel and see if the circuit breaker that controls the garbage disposal has tripped or turned off. Flip the switch on or off and then on if it was already in the on position. Try the switch again. If that does not work proceed to step 4. Note: If the circuit trips again after resetting you probably have an overload or short circuit and need to contact an electrician.
- If none of the preceding steps worked you should check the units wiring to do this first unplug the power cord and turn off the circuit breaker. Then open the unit switch housing. Look for any loose or broken wires. If you find that the switch is faulty – call us and we can replace it with a new one. Before you turn the power back on remove the cover on the bottom of the garbage disposal to access the wire connection to the motor. Check this area for any loose or broken wires as well. If everything looks good put the cover back on.
- Turn the circuit breaker back on and plug the cord back in. This is the furthest most homeowners should go in troubleshooting problems with their disposal. At this point a local plumber should be brought in that has the proper tools to diagnose, repair, or replace your garbage disposal.
If you went through all of these steps and your disposal still is not operating call your friendly neighborhood plumbers at KT Plumbing at (864) 663-6105 and we will get your disposal fixed or replaced at a price that won’t break the bank.